Accommodation for University Students

There are 3 types of accommodation you can book when choosing to study with us.

1. Residential Accommodation

The Dwelling which is a five minute walk from the main Blackburn College campus and consists of 18 study bedrooms which include a choice of single or double bedrooms, en-suite rooms and Pods (which are self-contained flats) and they include a desk and wardrobe and chest of drawers.

The development is split over three floors and each floor has access to 1 or 2 bathrooms and 1 kitchen. These facilities are shared with other students within your block. You may be required to pay for your accommodation up front in a one off instalment prior to your arrival. Until we have received this payment we cannot guarantee you a room.

2. Homestay Accommodation

During your study period you will have your own bedroom and study area within the household. All utility bills are included with this accommodation and you won’t need to provide towels, bedding or kitchen equipment as that’s all included too! Home stay families expect you to mix with other family members and help out with household chores.

Our host families come from a range of backgrounds. You might find that your host family is a family or a single person who has rented out one of their rooms. You might find that your host family has younger children – or a family pet. We will try and match any requirements you might have with your host family. Host family accommodation generally have Internet access but this might not be Wifi.

You can choose either room-only or a half-board basis. Half-board basis means your breakfast and evening meal will be provided.

3. Private Home Accommodation

Blackburn College work in partnership with BGSA Ltd to provide a complex of 1 and 2 double bedroomed apartments situated in the Cathedral Quarter area of the town. The apartment buildings, called The Keep and The Gatehouse were built in 2011/12 and provide exceptional fully-furnished accommodation for Blackburn College students. All the apartments contain white goods; comprising of a fridge, oven and microwave. Each building has access to a free laundry room. Kettles, toasters, irons, ironing boards and hoovers are also provided by the landlord. All the apartments have white bathroom suites with over the bath showers, some have en-suites. The properties have access to a full time warden/caretaker and an out of hours helpline. Visit the BGSA Student website for more information.

All properties are inspected by the Accommodation Liaison Officer and meet the standards required by our Landlord Registration Scheme (Code of Best Practice.)

Ultimately any contract you sign into will be between you and the landlord/letting agent however the Accommodation Officer is on hand should you need any help or guidance.

Important Info:

  • Price: £85-£120 average per week
  • Board: Rooms only or half board available
  • Tenancy Length: Various 
  • Utilities Included: Gas, electric, water, communal TV license and internet
  • Furnishings: Fully Furnished
  • Apply: We ask that you apply for your accommodation as soon as you have received an offer from Blackburn College.

You can complete the application form by typing directly into the boxes. Please save a copy and return the form to Should you require more information please contact the Accommodation Liaison Officer on 01254 29 24 23 or by using the email address above. 

Private Rented Accommodation Prices

What's Included
TypeBGSA ApartmentsThe Dwelling
Average price (per week)* £80 £80
Deposit £300 £300
Admin Charges No No
Tenancy Length (weeks) 48 42
Gas N/A Yes
Electric No Yes
Water Yes Yes
Internet No Yes
Television License No No
Fully Furnished Yes Yes

*Prices are subject to individual properties and may be subject to change.

Applying for Accommodation

Please make your application for accommodation as soon as you have received an offer from Blackburn College.


Please save a copy and return the above forms to

Help with your application

Complete your application by typing directly into the boxes. Should you require more information please contact the Accommodation Liaison Officer on 01254 29 24 23 or

On Arrival

On arrival you will be asked to sign two copies of your tenancy agreement (One copy for yourself or guarantor and the other for the landlord). You will also be given an Inventory List to check and sign which should list the following:

In the accommodation we provide all students with the following -

Kitchen (shared)
  • Hob/Oven x 2
  • Fridge/Freezer
  • Microwave
  • Toaster
  • Kettle
  • Iron
  • Ironing Board
  • Vacuum
  • Television
  • Laundry facilities
  • TV (available in the shared lounges in - Choice, The Dwelling & Darwen St Flats)
Single/double Bedroom
  • Single/double bed & mattress
  • Double wardrobe
  • Bedside cabinet (if a double)
  • Chest of drawers
  • Study desk & chair

All students are required to purchase their own kitchen utensils, bedding cleaning & laundry products. 

What you need to know

The below forms need to be submitted prior to you receiving your visa. It is important you do this as failure to submit your accommodation request before arriving in the UK will mean that upon your arrival you may have to make hotel arrangements / accommodation arrangements for the 1st week in order for us to arrange suitable accommodation at such short notice.

If you cannot provide a UK based guarantor you will be required to pay for your accommodation up front in a one off instalment prior to your arrival. Until we have received this payment we cannot guarantee you a room.

We’ve created some handy information sheets to help you when thinking about Accommodation and what you might need before you come to the UK:


The law states that all landlords must have a current gas safety certificate in place for all of their properties. This certificate proves that any gas appliances within the property are safe to use.

Any properties that are provided by the College will provide you with a copy of the most recent gas certificate. Any other landlords may not do this. If you choose to sign up with a private landlord we strongly advise that you ask for a copy of the gas certificate.

A gas safety certificate provides evidence that gas appliances are safe to use, however they do not protect you from carbon monoxide leaks. If your property does not provide a carbon monoxide alarm it is recommended that you purchase one as soon as you move into your property.


Unlike gas certificates it isn’t a legal requirement for a landlord to produce an electrical safety certificate. Many landlords may have one so it’s worth asking before you move into a property.

If you think there maybe be any unsafe electrics within your property you must report it to your landlord as soon as possible.


By law all rental properties should come already fitted with a working smoke alarm on each floor of your property.

On moving into your property you should check all smoke alarms are in good working order. This is usually done by pressing and holding the button in the middle. Never test a smoke alarm by putting a naked flame underneath it.

If your smoke alarm starts bleeping at regular intervals the battery may need changing. If you are living in the privately rented property, it is your responsibility to ensure the house has a fully working smoke alarm.

Personal Safety

Crime in Lancashire is below the national average and is constantly dropping. Despite this it is always important to be safe, especially when you are new to a town. In order to keep safe when you are out you should:

  • Carry a personal alarm
  • Always use the safest path to your destination, only use well lit paths
  • Walk with your head up, look confident
  • Keep your hands free
  • Have your mobile ready to use, but don’t use it whilst walking
  • Wear appropriate clothing
Council Tax

Council tax is a system of local taxation which is used to pay for local services such as refuse collection, the Fire Service and the Police. The amount charged varies depending on area.

Full-time students are exempt from paying council tax as long as you are studying for more than 21 hours a week, over 24 weeks of the year.

You will need to inform the council that you are a student otherwise you will receive a bill. To do this once you have registered you must request a council tax exemption form from registry. At busy periods this may take a few weeks to process therefore it is essential that you request this as soon as possible.

Once you have collected your form from registry you will need to drop the form off at the Town Hall, this is located on King William Street in Blackburn town centre.

Television License

If you choose to watch live television in your private accommodation you will have to purchase a television license.

You need a license if:

  • For each bedroom within a property that has separate tenancy agreement, a separate license should be bought for each room

You do not need a license if:

The following three statements are all true:

  • You’re out of term address is covered by a license
  • You only use TV receiving equipment that is powered solely by batteries
  • You have not connected it to an aerial or plugged it into the mains

A full colour license costs £147.00. You can be fined up to £1,000 if you are caught watching television without one.

You may be eligible for a refund on part of your license if you leave your student accommodation for the summer months. You can pay for your TV licence online or at any pay point outlet.


Contents Insurance

Contents insurance; this is the student’s responsibility.

Blackburn College highly recommends that all students take out contents insurance before moving. Endsleigh do excellent deals on this.


If you do not opt to take out your own insurance cover, Blackburn College (nor any landlord recommended by us) will not be held liable for any damage or theft that occurs within your property.


You are not permitted to smoke in any of the properties provided by Blackburn College. If you are a smoker you must only smoke outside of the property. You will be expected to pay for any damage done to a property due to smoke damage.

Drugs Policy

The Accommodation Office does not condone the use of illegal substances in any way. Any students found taking such substances will be subject to the College’s disciplinary policy and you may risk losing your place in accommodation.


If you break or damage anything within your accommodation you must report it immediately to your relevant landlord/letting agent.

You may be required to pay for this damage; this depends on a decision made by your landlord.



Be an accommodation provider

Host Family Registration

Registration for Landlords

Please note: the College takes no responsibility for anyone who sources accommodation independently.