Loans and grants
To support you during your studies we offer all our full time students a generous financial support package.
For Students starting in the Academic Year 2018/19
Up to £2,750 Financial Support Package available
£500 Bonus for Full-Time students
If you start your studies in the academic year 2018/19, we are offering a £500 bonus for full-time eligible students in their first year. This is for all students paying the £7,500 or £8,250 a year fees. In the subsequent years of the course you will be paid a £250 bonus.
UCBC Student Success Fund
University Centre at Blackburn College (UCBC) is offering the 'Student Success Fund’. This fund has been set up to help support students succeed whilst studying at UCBC.
The Student Success Fund is a fund that students can apply to (via one or multiple applications) in order to receive a grant of up to £1,000 in each academic year of your course. If you receive support from the fund in your first year, you can still apply again in the second year of your course.
For all students
In addition you can also apply for a range of Loans and Grants from the government:
Tuition Fee Loan
This covers the full cost of your fees for every year of study and you only start to pay it back when you earn £25,000 a year which will be deducted directly from your salary. As your earnings increase, your payments will also increase – see below table.
The amount graduates pay each month is related to what a graduate earns and not what a graduate owes.
- Students will only be required to start paying back loans once they have graduated from (or left) university and are earning over £25,000
- For example, if you earn £27,000 per annum you will pay back £15 per month
- Loan repayments will be deducted directly from salary, normally through Pay As You Earn (PAYE)
- Any loans which remain outstanding after 30 years will be written off.
This is to cover living costs and you can borrow up to £8,700 for every year of study. All full-time, undergraduate students can apply for this loan and you will only start to pay it back when you earn over £25,000 a year. The repayments will be deducted direct from your salary. See the table above for the levels of repayments required.
- For those starting full-time studies in September 2018, up to £8,700 per annum available for students who live away from home whilst studying at the University Centre at Blackburn College
- Up to £7,324 per annum is expected to be available for students who live in their family home whilst studying at the University Centre at Blackburn College
- Student Finance England have announced that some part-time students may be able to access a Maintenance Loan for qualifying courses. Please visit www.gov.uk/student-finance/parttime-students for up to date information.
These are available for students on low incomes with adult or child dependents including:
- Childcare Grant – you could get up to £164.70 per week for one child and £282.63 per week if you have two or more children.
- Parents Learning Allowance – you could get up to £1,669 a year.
- Adult Dependants’ Grant – you could get up to £2,925 a year.
We would advise you to speak with our friendly and professional Student Finance team so that you can maximise the support you receive.
Call them on 01254 292839 for a chat or to make an appointment or email firstname.lastname@example.org